Do’s and Don’ts of Divorce
Do’s of Divorce:
- Treat your relationship with spouse as a business relationship.
- Obtain copies of documents and/or be able to identify all assets liabilities.
- Obtain your own credit report.
- Insure you have a credit card in your name alone.
- Photograph/ video tape/ inventory contents in home.
- Consider changing title on house from joint tenancy to tenancy in common and then new will.
- Seek new professionals.
- Start co-parenting.
- Disclose, disclose, disclose.
- Consider alternatives to litigation (mediation, limited scope, private judging).
Don’ts of Divorce:
- Change beneficiary of life insurance and retirement plans without written consent of spouse.
- Hide, transfer or dispose of assets or encumber property.
- Remove spouse or children from health insurance policy.
- Create and fund a trust during a divorce.
- Involve children in your dispute with spouse.
- Make emotional decisions.
- Delay/ avoid seeking legal advice.
- Take unreasonable positions
- Remove child(ren) from State of California without obtaining the written consent of the other parent or a court order.
- Keep the house if you intend to sell it soon after the divorce is final.
Download this document