While a divorce decree represents the final step in a divorce, the decree can be altered in certain circumstances, especially as to child support or child custody. These circumstances include a new job or a move by one parent to another state.

The most common provisions to be modified are child custody, child support and spousal support. Those provisions usually can only be changed if there is a substantial change in circumstances since the prior orders. Examples of changed circumstances are: if a custodial parent is planning to move to a different city or state with their children, a change in a party’s income, retirement, the sale or purchase of a home, remarriage, and new children. All of these issues may warrant a modification of the amount of support that party is paying or receiving.